Monday, January 14, 2008

Le voyage et la philosophie morale

Note: I can't help myself--without further ado, here is the French paper that I wrote on travel a year and change ago. I believe the assignment was to respond to a quote from St. Augustine (which you'll see at the beginning) about traveling. So I took the opportunity to write about philosophy. My teacher liked it, but then again, one can only imagine what the 18-year-olds in my class were writing about.

If anybody can read this, you should let me know if there are any good ideas in it. I can only tell that I brought up Albert O. Hirschman halfway through, probably in relation to his doux-commerce thesis (from his fantastic book, The Passions and the Interests).

--------------------

Saint Augustin a dit autrefois : « Le monde est un livre et ceux qui ne voyagent pas ne lisent qu’une page. » Augustin était célèbre pour a écrit les Confessions. Ce livre lui était à propos d’activités dissipé pendant quand il était un jeune. Nous pouvons l’imaginer en train de dire cela quand il était farouche et fou, avant de trouver l’église. Il y a beaucoup de vérité dans ce qui lui a dit. Quand les gens voyagent, ils connaissent beaucoup d’autres gens et connaissent leurs cultures.

Dans la philosophie morale, l’objet du jeu est à trouver les principes moraux qui peuvent vous faire à prendre des décisions. Après d’église avait perdu sa puissance, les philosophes des siècle des lumières essayaient aux établir par la raison seul. Il y avait beaucoup d’avances morales pendant cette époque, par exemple la démocratie moderne et l’abolition d’esclave (au moins en Europe). Mais certains penseurs contemporain pensent que ces avances étaient dû à l’augmentation des livres à propos de voyage et le commerce avec autres pays (une idée que Albert Hirschman appelle « la thèse à commerce doux »).

Quand vous voyagez, vous rencontrez les gens que vous n’auriez pas autrement rencontrées. Si vous parlez à les et voyez comment ils vivent et ce qu’ils croient, votre imaginaire moral lui élargira. Vous commencerez les comprendre et voyez comment penser comme les. L’analogie d’Augustin entre le monde et un livre est assez doué parce qu’il expose leur réflecteur sur l’un l’autre. Quand vous lisez, c’est beaucoup de pareil le voyage parce que vous l’ajoutez à vos connaissances. Augustin avait juste peur de gens qui lit très peu et voyage très peu. Il les craignait parce que l’ignorance n’apporte aucune de félicité, mais plutôt la mort.

3 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I don't know what this says but since it's French it sounds nice in the mind's ear. Something about the world being a book and then I'm lost. Not that I'm any less lost reading things of yours in English, mind you. But what this has going for it is brevity - so I like it beaucoup.

    And the next one, where the prof limits you to two pages - what could be better for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Glenn--you are so kind.

    It's true, something about treating the world as a book, and probably something else about how reading, and learning more about the world generally, helps expand the imagination and then also making us more sympathetic to others. A typical Rortyan sentiment, albeit in French. Hell if I know what it actually says.

    It is also true: I should work more on brevity. It's a different kind of skill that I'm not as practiced in. Kind of like the sonnet--a form that forces one to do certain kinds of things. That's why I like my "intro to Pirsig" so much--I actually concentrated on compactness and I don't think it turned out so bad.

    Ah--but I do love just going on and on and on (and on) about things. One of my small pleasures in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, just ask Ian.

    I can elaborate if you want, but your longer writing is where the trouble is. That said, your longer pieces have all the ingredients and potential to be very good.

    ReplyDelete

Want to get in touch with me but are too scared to universalize and eternalize your comments for all everywhere and always to see? Just e-mail me: pirsigaffliction@hotmail.com