Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A monologue we should all memorize

I've never been subjected all that often to questions like, "So...what you gonna' do with that degree...?" It is true that my extended family doesn't understand my pursuits much at all, but my parents inherited from their respective families an awareness that different people lead different lives, even if you can't for the life of you imagine what that might be.

And my friends, well, they're all pretty much like me: overeducated, smart types that, though they don't fit the classic humanist intellectual mold like I do, are well aware that reading esoteric books might be good for somebody. Between that and my scintillating wit, blazing sarcasm, and oversized genius, I've mainly been able to squelch any possible jokes made at my effete sophistication.

But this is hilarious, sent to me by a friend of mine, an English major lost in the woods of Library Book Delivery.

2 comments:

  1. "Hopefully someday I'll enter into an English Grad program." Does that mean you'll someday enter into an English Grad program in a hopeful state of mind, or that you hope to enter into one someday? Whichever it is, you have not made it clear. Now you've done it. You've made Richard Strunk roll over in his grave once more. Effete sophistication? Effete sophistication my *ss!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of my Comp Lit prof from some years ago. He's a big Star Trek fan (which he somehow linked to Rousseau) and he used to tell us, "You don't 'boldly go' anywhere. You 'go boldly'!"

    ReplyDelete

Want to get in touch with me but are too scared to universalize and eternalize your comments for all everywhere and always to see? Just e-mail me: pirsigaffliction@hotmail.com